Every now and then there’s an animal rescue story that takes my breath away. Oliviero’s is one such story.
Please note that this story includes some graphic images that may be disturbing to some readers.
Two women were walking in Messina in southern Italy when they stumbled across a trash bag lying in a dry river. They heard whimpers coming from the bag and went to investigate. What they found shocked and horrified them.
The dog had been bound with electrical wire, put in a garbage bag and then dumped along the Terme Vigliatore river. To add to the horror of the scene, a dead calf lay rotting nearby.
Help was called and an animal rescue volunteer, Linda Li, arrived on the scene. She noted that the young dog was in serious condition. His body was covered with hundreds of ticks and fly larvae and he was in shock and dehydrated.
“They were eating [him] alive,” Linda said of the insects. His rescuers gave him water and then immediately loaded him into a car and rushed him to a vet.
Oliviero was so grateful to be rescued he wagged his tail any time he was given attention. Vets examining Oliviero determined he was paralyzed in his hind legs due to an unknown trauma.
Here’s another video of Oliviero resting and enjoying some attention while recuperating.
A year has past since his rescue and Oliveira has found a loving home with Dominique Mastroianni.
He is loving his new life. Oliveira has doggie siblings to play with and loves to cuddle with his new mom and dad.
Looking at him now, it’s hard to believe he was so near death.
Oliveira has come a long way. He truly had a strong will to live.
He has a wonderful new family who he appreciates with all his heart!
Share Oliveira’s amazing rescue with your family and friends!
Read more at the Dog Family category.